We met in our home. I think the first time we got together we only had about four other students besides Josh and I, but as we continued to meet, more of our friends began to come. More than fifteen new friendships were made thanks to One, some of them have become our best friends. It became a safe place for students to trust one another and begin to have real conversations and friendships that both challenged and strengthened each other.
Some nights we just ate together and prayed for one another, shared life together. I’ve discovered through those nights that God will bring the most wonderful people, with beautiful lives, into my heart if I will just open my heart to love His creation. I so hope to discover more people this year…
We had One the night after the Soul Force group had come to the Trevecca campus. I’ll never forget that night, it wasn’t one filled with hateful speech or raised voices, but one of honest conversations and thorough study of the scriptures. It was a place where respect and love for each other, despite our different approaches and opinions, held us together as we sought the truth of God’s word.
Which brings me to what we hope to study with our Merge group over the next two semesters… My parents have taken several groups of their friends through a study called the Truth Project. It is a Bible study curriculum that focuses on the fundamental truths revealed to us by the Bible and also encourages us to engage our culture through the lenses of these truths. The majority of students who profess to be Christians in high school lose that profession of faith at some point in their college years and Josh and I both feel like this is a scary realization and we’ve seen it play out in our own friends whom we’ve grown up with. We’re so thankful to go to a Christian school here at Trevecca, but in our experience last year, we know that not everyone here is totally sure where they stand. It’s time for developing our own faith and our own morals, not just living by what our parents do.
We’re so excited to start this new venture with our merge group. Just one of the wonderful things I so love about my Trevecca community…

No comments:
Post a Comment